Birthdays, Bracelets, & Breastfeeding

My kids are *CRAZY OBSESSED* with talking about their birthdays. I mean, DAILY. It's a rare day that passes without Will vocally vacillating between an NFL or a NASCAR cake. (The past few days it's been all NFL, which I champion, only b/c I already have a football cake pan.) Annelise is sticking to her guns with another princess cake. (I've gotten 3 years, so far, out of my castle pan, too!) We went over to our friends' house today, and they had a party cake cookbook out. Will & Sis sat and studied that thing like they were prepping for their LSATs - they didn't want to play with their friend's new toys from Christmas until they were done reading it. But we're still on for football & princess cakes...today. They're also obsessed with daily reciting their guest lists...which include their sibling only when they're not trying one-up each other. It's gotten to be a hot button to push: "I'm only having boys at my party." "Well, I'm only having girls." :-P It was silly at first, but now it's escalated to the point where I've had to tell them that kids who fight about birthday parties don't get to have them, so please be careful how you talk to each other! I *am* thinking about doing a girls-only party for Sis, b/c I lovelovelove this idea, but I'm still not sold on cutting out the siblings quite yet, so we'll see. BTW - their birthdays are not this month. End of April and August, people! And yet still, every single day...

Are mine the only ones who do this?

MOPS was FANTASTIC this morning! B/c of the weather (yes, we got 8"-10" of snow yesterday; no, I don't want to talk about it, b/c I hate snow more than anything else on this earth, and I want to keep focusing on positive stuff; but it DIDN'T keep me down, though! There were no snow days, so I was out & about all day and even did extra fun errands, just b/c I could. ;-)) several moms couldn't make it, so our group was smaller, but so relaxed & cozy. We closed with a craft, and I admit, I'm usually not really into them. I love doing artsy things, but I can't get into useless chotchkies that just clutter. But today! Today we made the cutest bracelets! I'm not even a big jewelry-wearer, but for whatever reason, this bracelet has me over the moon:

Our MOPS theme for the year is "Together on Planet Mom", so the turquoise beads resemble our planet while the complimentary square agate beads symbolize our roles as women, mothers, and leaders. The beads are really nice, and I truly see myself wearing this stylish-casual piece often!

I'm a HUGE "meaning" person; I do not like things without meaning, esp. gifts and jewelry.

Finally, after the rash of bra-color FB statuses yesterday, (yes, I posted, too: hunter green) my friend Liz came through with something of actual value, which I immediately posted, as well:
Breastfeeding reduces your chances of getting breast cancer (and the longer you nurse, the lower your risk) AND it also helps your daughter reduce HER chances of getting breast cancer. So post THIS instead of the color of your bra today!

I am crazy passionate about breastfeeding. I don't even have enough words to share how important I think it is. Breastfeeding was one of the most powerful, empowering, life-changing, hard-&-then-easy things I have ever done. Certainly the most selfless 44 total months of my life!!! And perhaps my most proud parenting choice of their first years. I absolutely don't berate anyone who did not nurse, (being a mom is hard enough w/o other moms putting anything else on you,) but I am the biggest cheerleader you will ever find for those who do!!! Moms do not get enough support for this, and it breaks my heart. It shatters me whenever I hear of someone who "wanted to, but it just didn't work out." No one talks about how hard it is; just that it's natural, er go it must be easy. Babies are born wanting to do it, but they don't know how. It's a learning process for both of you, and it can take up to a few weeks before you both settle into any kind of rhythm. And certainly no one talks about the pain & sensitivity at first that make it so easy to give up, esp. when you're tired & so extremely emotional... But the rewards!!!!!! Here's just one list of thousands. (This site is super cheesy, but it has the most info I wanted to share on one page.) I don't want to preach to the choir here, (and believe me, this is one topic I can go on about FOR-EH-VER!!!) so if anyone ever has nursing questions or wants support, PLEASE seek me out!!! :-)

Comments

  1. i LOVE- LOVE- LOVE that bracelet! i'm not a big jewelry person either but if it was a gift or if it holds meaning behind it, i try to wear pieces often. i'm so glad you enjoyed your MOPs meeting and when the time comes, i fully expect you to answer all my questions about nursing :-)

    i was thinking, we don't live THAT far from each other. once the weather clears up, we should try to meet half way or something for lunch?? just a thought :-) happy monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOOOOVE to get together...but we're still 8 hours apart. :-P Idea, though: next time we drive home, maybe we could meet to eat in Lexington, KY or Huntington, WV? (We usually take 75 down from Lex, but with the rockslides closing 40 over the NC/TN border, we'll go through WV until they're cleared.) No clue when we can go back...but maybe God will provide JB a new job opportunity soon, and we'll be back and forth a few times SOON!!! :-D

    Also thinking of you, b/c I have few more kids' preballet CDs, if you want some new stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story on your kids is funny. I remember how exciting birthday cakes were growing up. I had this one pink strawberry cake that melted due to the heat (I'm a July baby and the AC went out). It was yummers anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a July baby, too! The 23rd. I was born on the hottest day of 1978. :-P My kids are still talking every single day about their bday parties! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment