Horses & Strawberries

Yesterday we took the kids around the corner to the Marvin Area Recreational Equine Show (MARES) that was almost in my parents' backyard. It was really cute! There were 8 craft & game stations for the kids, face painting (my kids are obsessed!), dressage & hunter/jumper demos, miniature horses, and a hayride over to a petting zoo that had all the usual suspects, as well as camels and a zebra!


Will & Annelise also took their first trail rides! Smaller horses were offered, but both of my kids asked to ride the two biggest - bursting with pride over here! (My mom was a hunter/jumper competition rider growing up, and I rode some in high school.) I was so excited that the kids weren't the least bit intimidated. (Just b/c they think they love something doesn't mean it can't scare them; we thought Will would be all over every animal at Sissy's bday, but he was crazy anxious over a number of them. Surprised! But so after that, I wasn't sure what he'd think of the horses.) I showed him which foot to put in the stirrup, and that was it - he hiked his other leg over & pulled himself up w/o another word from me and was ready to go! (They used Engilsh saddles, too, instead of Westerns with pommels - extra awesome! I wanted them to be able to feel close to their horses.)



Annelise looked so tiny on her horse, (check out how far her feet are from the stirrups! :-P) but she ADORED it!





After MARES, we went around the other corner from my parents' house to pick strawberries. Will & Sis loooove picking berries, and these were so big & gorgeous. We picked 12 lbs. in less than 10 minutes!!! (It was more like 6 or 7 min! We had to cut the kids off, b/c they're not used to getting so many so fast!)






As soon as we got home, we flat out ate half a carton with the sweet neighbors in the driveway.


We're going to dip some in chocolate, and we made a white sangria with some & fresh mint from the garden to sip during the Kentucky Derby. (Yes, we wore our hats and picked 2 of the top 3 horses! Too bad we never bet for real!!!) I also made my super basic & so delish strawberry pie. (Liz Smith gave me this recipe years ago, and it's just my favorite, b/c it's pure berry - no other stuff getting in the way!)

CRUST:
I have no qualms about using a store-bought. (I like the chocolate cookie crust, b/c what's better than chocolate & strawberries?) If you want to make one, kudos! :-)

FILLING:
1 cup crushed berries
3 tbls. cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

In a saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water and crushed berries, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir one minute. Put aside to cool.

When crust and mixture have cooled, place whole strawberries (de-stemmed and point-up) all around the inside of the pie crust, and then pour the mixture on top. Chill for about three hours.

(This recipe is amazing with raspberries, as well!)

Comments

  1. can i come visit next spring when you're at your mama's? i want to ride horses and trains and make strawberry pies with you....and wear big hats to watch the derby. so glad you are still loving tha tpie recipe. our strawberry season is in about a month - i'll be making it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love horseback riding, but haven't been in a long time! what fun memories you are making with your kids! they will cherish these memories for ever! love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Liz! This is the first Derby my mom & I have been together for in YEARS! It was so nice!!!

    I would LOVE for us ALL to go to Tweetsie & horseback riding & strawberry picking together!!!!! How dreamy would THAT be?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment