Blueberry Bliss

I *love* u-pick fruit farms. I don't have a very green thumb myself, but I love gathering the fruits of others' labor - esp. early summer strawberries and end of summer raspberries. I love being out in nature, showing the kids where our food really comes from. :-) On Monday, we decided to try our hand at blueberries! I took 100 pictures, y'all. (I'm intimidated to sit down & go through them all! Stay tuned for the inevitable scrapbook pages!) We picked almost 10 lbs., and I have a feeling I'm going to have to get creative with some recipes the rest of the week to use them. :-P (I'm not excited about freezing them, b/c w/o dry ice, they turn to mush when defrosted, and my kids aren't that big on sauces. Plus, I *never* actually use the stuff I freeze. I'm totally not a pack-the-fridge-&-freezer-tight girl. It seems counterintuitive, b/c I hoard everything else, but not perishable food. Maybe it's b/c we've moved so much? No point in stocking up on things the movers can't pack?)

Comments

  1. freeze a ziplock bag of them and throw them into pancakes! YUMMY. we love our blueberry pancakes now! or muffins or anything baked....

    ReplyDelete
  2. aetom beat me to it: we use our frozen blueberries for pancakes and muffins too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeahhhh, I just don't ever bake anything that's not chocolate. But maybe I can find a chocolate blueberry bread recipe??? Mmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make a pie!! Or savory blueberry sauce for pork tenderloin. Or sweet blueberry sauce pound cake (never mind. you don't make pound cake but super easy and feeds a million!) Just freeze pint ziplock bags of them and figure it out later. It will prick your creativity while the kids are in school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK. I'm duh. Or a mother. How do I post stuff that is not anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't need to feed a million - *that's* my problem. Anything I make, I'll eat, so I don't want to bake lots of stuff! :-P

    Commenting: under the comment box, is there a "Comment as:" bar where you can choose "Name/URL" instead of anonymous? Then put whatever for name - Anne, Mommy, LaLa, etc. - and your email address in the url line. Or if you want to set up a google profile that does it automatically by itself every time, I can talk you through that on the phone. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment