Healthy Light Pumpkin Pie Sherbet

So what kind of girl doesn't use her ice cream maker even once all 100°+ summer...but pulls it out for the first time in years in October?
This girl, who just modified a recipe for pumpkin sherbet! HAPPY FALL!!!

Oh, the pumpkin-o-rama has only just begun around here! I have found SO MANY *new* pumpkin recipes I want to try this fall, and this was one of the most intriguing.

I love sugar & desserts, but because of the volume with which I like to partake of said deliciousness, I am always trying to find the slimmest recipes that still taste amazing. I froze (ha :-P) when I clicked onto pumpkin sherbet @ Skinnytaste.

A slimmed down "ice cream" with all the flavorful goodness of pumpkin pie? Yes, please!

Ingredients:
•2 1/4 cups 1% milk
•1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar [I used honey]
•1 cup pumpkin purée (or canned pumpkin)
•2 tsp pure vanilla extract
•1/2 tsp cinnamon [mine was heaping]
•1/4 tsp nutmeg [I used 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice instead of ground nutmeg & the pinch of clove]
•pinch of clove
•pinch of salt

Directions:
•In a saucepan, combine milk, sugar, pumpkin, and heat over medium heat. Bring to a full boil while whisking, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for thirty seconds.
•Remove from the heat, and add the vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and clove, and stir.
•Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and chill in the refrigerator until cold, about an hour. When chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
•Makes 2 3/4 cups


It's creamy, but not heavy - refreshing & well-spiced. I can't imagine anything better (light, but still autumnal) after a bowlful of chili...

[& after all this time, I'm glad to know my ice cream maker still works. ;-)]

Comments

  1. LOL! I haven't used our ice cream maker this year either. I've used it once ever since buying it a few years ago, to make melon sorbets (watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew), which were incredible. Now you're motivating me to make *something* with it this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...pumpkin!! I love baking with pumpkin and sweet potatoes. My husband had a slice of pumpkin creme cake at work yesterday and he hopes to get the recipe for me to try. He said it was so moist and delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this may get me using my ice cream maker more often! I am excited now to make light, all natural, healthIER-than-10-egg-yolk-&-heavy-cream sherbets & ice creams. Now thinking about gingerbread and about peppermint, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make vanilla and pour chambord on it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment