Healthy Banana Cookies

I finally made the "Healthy Banana Cookies" suggested by my friend Phyllis via Cathlin cooks this month. They absolutely lived up to the hype!!! Here's what Cathlin's look like with cranberries:
Kind of granola-bar-esque, but softer and chewier = big bonus for me! (I'm not a fan of hard, dry granola bars.) Plus, how awesome is it to have something other [healthier!] than banana bread to use up spotty brown bananas?! With no flour & no plain sugar!

Here's my tweaking of the recipe:

* 3 ripe bananas
* 2½ cups rolled oats [I prefer old fashioned over quick]
* ¼ cup coconut [optional - I omitted (love coconut flavor, but not texture :-P)]
* 1 cup dried fruit [like cranberries, raisins, dates, chocolate chips, etc. - I used Plumazins (diced prunes) AND choc chips, (b/c I doubled the recipe, so 1 cup then of each)]
* cinnamon & nutmeg to taste [I looooove a lot of cinnamon!]
* ⅓ cup applesauce [original recipe calls for ⅓ cup canola oil; next time I may use coconut oil instead of applesauce - more calories, yes; but it's a nutritious oil & makes you feel full faster: anything to make me eat less! :-D]
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas.
3. Stir in oats, coconut, dried fruit, spices, applesauce, and vanilla.
4. Mix well, and allow to sit ("soaking the oats") for 15 minutes.
5. Drop rounded spoonfuls onto parchment-lined cookie sheet. Use back of spoon or spatula [or your hand :-P] to flatten cookies before baking.
6. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until lightly brown.

Highest praise! (And yes, I am eating these for breakfast, before Zumba, etc. :-))

Comments