Displacement

These last two & a half weeks have felt...weird. The kids & I are not homeless, but we have never set foot in our new house. (JB did the house hunt solo.) We've never even set foot in our new home state! (I had an hour layover ten years ago at IAH, but that doesn't count.) We've had to say goodbye to south Georgia, but we haven't gotten to start our new lives in Texas. JB has been there for a month - settling in, exploring restaurants & shops that we'll love; I'm so excited to hear about them all, but I still have no frame of reference in my head for placing anything he's found. My Facebook feed is still full of all my local south Georgia news & establishments; it doesn't feel right to hide them, yet, (I won't "unlike" them) but there's no reason for me to know that a boutique I loved there is having 40% off from 4-8 PM on Friday, (esp. when I *WISH* I could hit that sale! :-P) It feels like we've been gone already for months... I still kind of want to know what's going on in our small-town, super close community...except, it's not mine, anymore. Chances are slim we'll get back to visit anytime soon (or ever?) since we have no family there & it's off our family travel paths. I'm totally ready to get on with my new Texan identity...but I've still never been there. It's just weird. And it's not that I haven't enjoyed our time with my fam in NC - it's been WONDERFUL!!! But it's not the community I need to plug into, so I feel like I'm floating around, completely displaced. [I am so NOT a loner. I get a lot of personal contentment & gratification in becoming ingrained in my community, so this weirdness feels like an extra big deal.] It's also very different from when the kids & I lived here with my fam in NC for a month & a half in 2010 in b/t moving from Chicago back to Michigan. We were going back to the same area, friends, and church we'd left a year & a half earlier, so I plugged back in over FB with everyone before we even showed up; I knew where my grocery & trusted pediatrician were, and I even taught VBS back at our old church the week after we arrived. This is a whole new ballgame.

It will all change Monday, when we arrive in Texas at 6 PM CENTRAL TIME ;-), but I just wanted to share that this has been odd for me. I wanted to change my "lives in" from Leesburg, GA to our new Texan town on FB...but it feels like lying until I've actually set foot there, you know? Maybe Monday night...

Comments

  1. Sues, enjoy your last week of displacement--knowing you, you'll be connected to everyone and everything in Houston by Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's so hard to be in limbo! Hopefully, you will get settled quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment