Chop, Chop

Annelise cut off 10 INCHES of hair...


(No, I’m not excited about this. I wanted to vomit, but it’s *her* hair, and I pick my battles. Do not say, “It’s just hair. It will grow back.” Yes, she looks beautiful no matter what. OBVIOUSLY!!! :-D)

It still goes up into a high pony for cheer and now won’t completely blind her in her elite stunt or get stepped on & accidentally ripped out by her teammates before she flips up into their pyramid. :-O (Yes, she literally had two chunks ripped out at practice when her teammates stepped on it two different times. #suckingitupforcheer)

I had mine to my chin in high school through my sophomore year of college, and it was so cute:
(This was the first dance class I ever taught: predance my senior year of high school.) I’m definitely not anti-short hair across the board...but this weekend has me in my feelings.

I kept asking if she was *sure* for a week straight. Her cheer BFF, Annika, chopped hers last week, and that was it for Annelise. No hair donation, b/c there was damage on the bottom inch, and she agreed she couldn’t go shorter for cheer hair.

Thankful for my friends who *get it* re: this. One said, “I know. Your hair is where you hold your power.” THIS. It’s totally not that short hair doesn’t still look good...but that dramatically long is special. There *is* a power & a discipline to it...

Another beloved said, “I'm deeply inspired that your daughter cares more for what she does than how she looks. PRAISE!”

Holy words... Now *THAT* perspective rocked my heart... SHE BLESSED ME!!!

Annelise’s hair is sooo the polar opposite of mine! Hers is so lusciously thick & wavy - not tight spiral curls, but more curly even than “wavy”. I’m curious to see how much more curly it gets being so much shorter & lighter. My hair is so long, thin, & stick straight. And yes - no one who didn’t know her before today would say that her hair is “short” now ...but it’s just not long in our household’s female perspective. :-P

It’s safe & functional. It’s cute. It’s fine. It’s...no different now than 80% of girls in her school.

She refuses pics!!! I had to beg for this at cheer, so this might be it:

Comments

  1. I do understand, especially about picking battles and hair not being one of them...but it sure was beautiful!! I know she's just as adorable as ever! LOL about refusing pics - I live that all the time! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment