Flooding & Football

The second half of September brought flooding & football. :-P Perhaps you heard about Tropical Storm Imelda two weeks ago on the news? The east side of Houston towards Beaumont was pummeled mercilessly, as bad as Hurricane Harvey two years ago. Our area barely got any rain at all...until Thursday the 19th.

My mom texted me from North Carolina that morning at 11:15 AM asking if we were flooded. If I would've seen it before I taught my 11:15 class, I would've responded, "No way. We have gotten maybe an inch total the whole last 3 days.” ...And then the bottom suddenly dropped out while I was teaching! In just over an hour, we got 5" of rain and unfortunately, I was over by a road that floods at nothing, so it was literally a river. If I wouldn't have been in my truck, I would‘ve been trapped over there! Tons of cars were stalled out, and other cars pulled up on the grassy medians. I got lucky & got behind a brave guy in a white SUV that seemed slightly smaller than my truck, so I stayed in his wake the whole time. I took a couple videos before I pulled out onto the road when it "wasn't as bad" ...and then it got waaay worse, so I called JB on speaker, so he would know exactly what was going on. It was scary! Over by our house was fine – there was lots of initial ponding, but as soon as the rain let up, it drained super fast like it always does. Even afternoon school pickup was fine; but it was a nerve-racking couple hours there! Here are my 2 short video clips, 2 friends’ pics of the road I was on about 15 minutes after I miraculously made it through, and my pic of Will’s high school practice football fields at 6 PM after the water went way down:

It was just a quick, three-hour event from the time it started raining until the water drained - no lingering damage; but it was just so dramatic, because it was completely unforeseen! No forecast predicted more than normal showers over us, so everyone was out & about and not looking for it to happen. Those 5” of rain fell so fast, it couldn’t drain. It only took a few hours for everything to completely recede off the roadways – Houston is awesome for that! But I understand the meaning of flash flooding now!

The rest of September has been all football. ‘Tis the season! (And with Annelise not doing school cheer this year, Will gets all the focus. :-P) Will’s JV homecoming football game was also supposed to be on the flood day, but they canceled all games for the weather.

Sophomore homecoming - Will & one of his best friends, Nacho, posed better than any of the girls did! :-D Apparently the mosh pit was the highlight of the dance. :-P

The following week, Will played his former high school and WON 24-7! Sooo satisfying, & truly happy to see our football friends from back to junior high, again! Will’s closest buds are still on the other/his former team, and I’m sooo kicking myself for not making them take a pic when they were chatting after the game; I didn’t want to be “that mom”...but come on, I *am* THAT mom!!! :-D I should’ve done it, but I made Will atone for his not taking photographic initiative himself by allowing this sunset snap on the way out. NOTHING beats a Texas football sunset!!!

This week? We lost. Not happy. But *I* WON, b/c I still scored 2 (hilarious & perfectly accurate) pics with #43 on the field, but #1 in my heart! They are titled “At Least...” & “Oh Well.” :-P #wedontlosewell #hecomesbyithonestly
(We knew this week would be our toughest game of the entire season, and we hung in there waaay longer than their fans thought we would; it was kind of nice to hear fans of 8-time state champions in the most powerful football state in America sound anxious for a half! :-P)

Closing with this gem: love is sharing NFL Sunday s’mores pizza with the piece of my heart who first made me a mama...

Comments

  1. LOVE that last pic!! :) He looks sooo handsome all dressed up for Homecoming!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment