October Overview

Our October can be distilled down into four words: football, family, fitness, & fall.

Football: Will has one last JV football game coming up this Thursday, but it’s a makeup from his homecoming week that was flooded out in September. Their season ended with an overall record of 8-2, being 5-1 in the district = total domination (minus the one loss, which was against one of the biggest powerhouse football schools in Texas with 8 state championships. The fact that we were tied with them & in striking distance through the third quarter was huge!) Overall, Will was really disappointed in his lack of playing time this season; but as parents, we are so pleased with the coaching, attitudes, and work ethic of this football program. Even if he barely gets a snap, we feel that him being a part of this organization is so valuable. We know that he doesn’t necessarily see it this way, but hopefully not only will he continue to grow physically, but we pray he will find the motivation inside of himself to work harder for more opportunities next year. It’s definitely a fun program to root for, and I treasure the almost-weekly post-game pictures I got out of him! He's #43:

Family: yep, that first post-game pic was with my mom – she came to visit the middle of October for a few days. We did tons of quality eating (Anonymous Cafe, Local Table, Anthonie’s) and tons of baseball watching, enjoying the Astros beat the Yankees! As deeply as the Astros broke our hearts in the end, we really did enjoy so much extra family time together over the last month watching the playoffs. That’s my favorite thing about being a fanatical sports fan: sharing family time.

Fitness: y’all - I know I said my fitness teaching schedule had exploded 300%, but this last month has made it *even* better! I’m still loving PiYo - my Monday PiYo class at the local boutique gym is the LARGEST class on that entire gym’s schedule & HAS BEEN for over a FULL YEAR NOW! That consistency is such a confidence booster.
I’m now teaching FIVE Yin Yoga classes a week, and I didn’t mention this in September, but I am also now teaching Pump twice a week at my newest gym. Pump is a weightlifting class just like BodyPump or Barbell Strength. I’ve been taking this format myself as a student for almost 7 years. It’s my favorite compliment to Yin (physical therapy) and PiYo (cardio with flexibility & body weight strength.) To be teaching it now feels completely natural & empowering. I am a perfectionist with a dance background: I have always wanted every moment of every class I teach to be completely planned and set to the perfect beat of the perfect music. That was how my old Zumba classes worked – I wouldn’t freestyle or take random requests that day for songs I didn’t already have choreographed, b/c what if they weren’t totally perfect?! (Of course, I took requests & had them expertly choreographed the next week. ;-)) PiYo is still perfection, as every movement is set to exact music that PiYo sends its licensed instructors every other month; but both Yin & Pump have broken me out of that rigid bubble. For both classes, I have long Spotify playlists of appropriate music, and whatever comes on is fine. I go with the flow of my class, and I am confident enough in all of the material that I teach to feel excellent without a memorized safety net. I'm no longer judging myself in a self-imposed dance competition.

Fall Fitness: if you take one of my fitness classes during Halloween week, your instructor *will* be in costume! :-D I just love any excuse to dress up, wear glitter, and be festive:


Fall: Annelise carved her first pumpkin by herself (Sbux logo) this Halloween & went trick-or-treating as Deb & Napoleon Dynamite with her BFF, Annika:

For the 3rd year in a row, Will played a football game on Halloween before trick-or-treating...& then his gang scored the candy haul of a lifetime:
57.6 POUNDS! :-O We put one boy, Jake, on the scale to get his base weight & filled up each boy’s backpack with their share of the candy. We weighed Jake with each backpack, subtracting his base weight, and then added all those totals up. See, it was educational. They did math! :-P

Happy Fall, y’all! Keep praying for God’s best! ❤️

Comments

  1. Oh my word - all that candy!!! So I would NOT be able to keep up, but would sure love to be in a class of yours one day just to experience the joy I can tell you share with your students!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't believe how big our kids all are. You and I have definitely seen our ups and downs since blog world brought us together! Praying all is coming along and I would love an update!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment