Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier

With football dominating our every weekend now through November, we really wanted to take advantage of this Labor Day holiday to do something special. For me, summer = beach, and there is no other location on earth that makes me feel happier & more alive! I couldn't imagine us living less than an hour & a half from the beach now and *not* having gone even once this whole summer!!! That is now remedied...


See that amazing amusement park behind us on the pier? That's the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier, where we spent the rest of our day! Looking across at the pier from our table at lunch:

Teacups, log flume, frog hopper, carousel, & swings:

What we don't have pictures of are the big, scary rides we conquered! (I couldn't hold my camera during the action to get any! :-P) Will really surprised me: at *HIS* behest, I rode the Iron Shark rollercoaster with him. It was officially the SCARIEST coaster I've EVER ridden!!!!! Scarier than ANYTHING at Cedar Point, Carowinds, etc. "The Iron Shark will attack when least expected with its 100-foot vertical lift and beyond-vertical drop. Tracking at 52 miles per hour, the vehicles will glide the 1,246-foot coaster track which includes a diving loop, a greater than vertical drop and four full inversions." The first 100 feet straight up was the worst...and what made it scarier than ANYTHING was me thinking, "OMIGOSH - if I feel like I'm going to slip backwards out of this car and fall out, how much closer to that actually happening must my tiny 8-year-old baby be next to me?!?!?!" :-D :-P

Annelise's daredevil choice was the Galaxy Wheel: the 100-foot-high giant ferris wheel at the end of the pier. It was surprisingly smooth and relaxing!!! Our ride was just us girls, and the view was spectacular!

Finally, Will blew me away with his riding the Cyclone: "Test your courage on our 60-foot tall looping coaster ride. Go head over heels at 25 miles per hour while rotating forward and backward." *I* would never ride that! It holds for a second at 60 feet up upside down! :-O I'm glad he decided to ride that while Annelise & I were on the Rock N Roll coaster, b/c I probably would have dissuaded him. :-P

Comments

  1. I'm impresed with all of you!! I fear that I've given up on most roller coasters in the last few years, but I'm thankful that my husband will readily ride anything our girls want to tackle (though they're definitely not daredevils!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crazy thing is, I would NEVER go on scary rides growing up! I didn't get over my fear of rollercoasters until I was almost out of high school. :-P Now, I have to ride with the kids b/c JB won't. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a fun trip, but I think I would have had to pass on all of the roller coasters. Thankfully, my husband doesn't like them, either, although that could be bad if our children do....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've given up on rollercoasters too. I've had a few incidents of getting sick, so now I happily watch from the stable earth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *did* feel a bit dizzy & slightly nauseous at the end; it never occured to me that I may be getting "too old" ;-) for this! :-P It's definitely time for me to back off!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment