“The Tattooist of Auschwitz”

I read a book! Of course, it was WWII - my favorite literary genre. “The Tattooist of Auschwitz” was a lightning fast read, even for my slow-mo self. “An unusual hybrid of memoir and historical fiction,” it’s been criticized for not getting a number of facts straight; but that doesn’t change the essence of the story. Morris untangled & captures what Lale wanted to share, and it’s powerful.


I’m a crazy slow reader (my brain will not allow me to skim - I have to read every.single.word on every.single.page; it’s obnoxious) and I blew through this in under 5 hours. Easy, but compelling.

Being such a WWII history buff, was I bothered by any of the historical inaccuracies? No, not in the moment. I wondered about a couple things, but I *knew* these were over-sixty-year-old memories being recounted & have absolute grace for the passing of time.

Exciting news for anyone else who has read this book: I just found out Morris is finishing a new book due out in October all about Cilka! I’m anxious to learn more, esp. since Cilka’s storyline is a critical focus of improbability. This “sequel” will surely contain even more historical liberties, as Morris received Cilka’s life story secondhand...but I’m still in.

Comments

  1. This sounds like a really good book!! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment