It Ain't All About the Cookin'

I've been a little quieter than usual blog-wise for almost two weeks. That can only mean one thing, if we're not on vacay: I checked a book out of the library, and I am trying my darnedest to read it before it's due. :-P Now that we live right in Paula Deen's home area, several friends told me to read her memoir, It Ain't All About the Cookin', because she talks about so many local places here. Sold!

I already knew quite a bit of Miss Paula's life story, but I still wasn't the least bit bored. I loved - as always! - the Southern culture & flavor, and it really was cool to hear her talk about things I drive by almost everyday now.

I want to shout "AMEN!!!" to what she says about Southern charm, that "it's always sincere. If you don't feel it or mean it, don't waste your time trying to use it. Won't fool a soul."

My favorite line: "For me, these were the good days because they revolved around family, which to this little Southern girl was the heart and the currency for everything solid and dependable and safe."

Comments

  1. I can't wait for you to tell me about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At one point, they lived in the apartments on Nottingham Way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a great book! thanks for recommending it. i will try to check it out this summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is *NO* angel & has certainly done things in life I don't condone; but her honesty & genuine personality shine through, making it a worthy read, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment