Sarah's Key

I did something this week I haven't done since college: read a whole book in one day! (And this time it was by choice, not by a class deadline. :-P) Sarah's Key was fantastic. I connected with this book on such an amazing level. I am completely obsessed with WWII history; I'd rather watch a History Channel special on WWII than anything...and I don't know *why* I crave this info so deeply. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it; I just know that I can't get enough, and THAT'S my key connection with this book: it's not just about a Jewish girl in WWII France; it's more about the lady researching the girl's story in the present day and how it affects her. I felt like her obsession helped justify mine. I also loved living in Europe, and so I really identified with her pull b/t America & Europe, as well.

The book is incredibly moving, suspenseful, & easily relatable with the connection to the present. I really loved the super short chapters; they spurred me on to read "just one more" and "just one more" - something I wouldn't have done with long sections. There are two voices in the book, and I loved their alternating points of view. This device also served as a great tension breaker when the circumstances could have started to make the reader feel weary. They helped you catch your breath.

I am so thankful I found this book & actually made it a priority to read. This book will be one of my all-time favorites forever. I can't recommend it enough! Never forget...

Comments

  1. Oooh! This sounds like a good read. I think I'm going to put it on my list to check out soon...Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know, if you read it! I'd LOVE the hear your thoughts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment