Wednesday, January 18, 2012

First Zumba Class = Taught!

I can't tell y'all how disappointed I am that I don't have a photo from yesterday to go with this post. So much so that it actually makes this harder to write! I. Need. Pics.

But I am happy to report that that was the SINGULAR disappointment of the evening! :-D

I had more peace than I've ever had starting a new dance class - so confident. Even the sound system came together flawlessly: I can control it from onstage w/o having to run over to a computer, CD player, or sound board to pause b/t songs. (Sounds simple, but anything that makes class run more smoothly is huge!)

Right around 20 (TWENTY!!!) ladies came!!! That is insane for a first class. [Quite a few more said they couldn't make this week, but are planning for next week! 49 people, so far, support my "Zumba with Susie" FB page!] Of course, it helps that it's a free ministry, :-P but that took the pressure off me a bit, too: no worrying if people would feel like they got their $'s worth. ;-) Everyone seemed fairly light-hearted & open, as they milled around & signed the "Release, Liability Waiver, & Covenant Not to Sue" forms I had to draft. (Covering all my legal bases!)

When we got going, I really tried to make sure I came across confidently, but as the "anti-drill sergeant". I didn't want anyone to feel intimidated or discouraged, b/c they didn't do the moves "just like me" - that's not what my class is about. I actually feel lucky, now, to have been "stuck with" my lower impact Zumba class I've been taking on Fridays: it's the only Zumba here while my kids are at school, & I was bummed that it's almost a Zumba Gold (senior adult) level class; but while I personally take all the steps up a level there, I have received a virtual year-long Zumba Gold training. I feel comfortable offering lower impact modifications to all my routines now, so that I can have my standard Zumba class be open to more people! I had ladies of ALL ages (teens to over 60) & at different levels of physical ability last night; but we ALL laughed, smiled, had fun, & NO ONE had to feel self-conscious or like "they didn't measure up" - my class is about *personal* best, not perfecting steps. My local BFF Laura came, and I asked her honestly how I came across - she said, "You came across confident, but so sweet! I loved how you told us a couple of times, "Don't slow down, keep it up!" but you were giggling and just having a blast up there! I bet no one would've guessed that this was your first class as an instructor. You did amazing!" #edifyingfriendship *insert waterworks*

When I checked FB last night, so many people said the class had blessed them: #1 goal = met. People kept thanking me that it was free, b/c they couldn't afford gyms, and this was an answer to prayer. *more waterworks* There have been times when we couldn't afford a gym, either - it makes me cry, b/c I *reallyreallyreally* do understand, and it's unexplainable how full it feels to meet a need for someone else that you've had yourself.

So excited for next week and for God to keep moving through this!!!

4 comments:

  1. It totally gives me the warm fuzzies that you're doing this as a ministry. When money is tight, things like gym memberships and fun activities (even ones that support a healthier lifestyle) are sacrificed, and so long-term damage can happen if people don't have access to opportunities such as this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you rock, girlfriend! i love seeing our passions play out in our lives. thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both, SO MUCH! *misty, again* ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very proud of you for sooo many reasons. You are a classy lady!! Love to you!!

    ReplyDelete