New Year's Survey

1) What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Dropped both of my kids off at school at the same time

2) Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't formally make them usually, but I'm always up for trying to do life better. Last year, I said I wanted JB & I to go out on more dates, and we really got into the habit the last few months. The Love Dare was amazing for us, too.

3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
Jackie had Isabella; Amanda had James; my brother & sister-in-law had Matthew; Shelley had Isaac

4) Did anyone close to you die?
Not super close

5) What countries did you visit?
Back to most of Europe in my dreams...

6) What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A super mild, virtually non-existant winter

7) What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Other than birthdays, May 9th was Annelise's first dance recital. Also January 20th - Obama's inauguration - was a pretty big deal, b/c not only was it my mom's bday, but the kids & I got really into the election coverage. I am obsessed with the idea of shared experience, so anytime the country and esp. the world are all focused together on an event, I have to stop everything to join in, too.

8) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting to the point where JB traveling for work didn't upset me - I accepted it, instead of churning over it, and that made my life easier. I also really jumped right into life in Naperville as soon as we moved w/o any waiting around: singing on praise team, taking over my MOPS group, reactivating in Junior League, and starting to teach dance, again. I took a lot of my life back. :-)

9) What was your biggest failure?
My temper/Jekyll & Hyde anger

10) Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nonstop headaches early in the year. Nothing serious.

11) What was the best thing you bought?
our IOP beach rental, bubble tea, Jergen's facial moisturizer with self-tanner in it, Redskins paraphanalia, hair bow ribbon, and my iPhone!!!

12) Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Sissy rocked her first dance recital in May. Will was a scoring machine on his first organized soccer team this fall.

13) Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Passive-aggressive attitudes, esp. rude digs through a smile. People who agree to something & then leave you hanging.

14) Where did most of your money go?
Aside from bills, definitely eating out! :-)

15) What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Trips to Isle of Palms, Charlotte, & Tweetise Railroad. Sissy's recital. Singing onstage, again. The zoo. Really good bubble tea. New friends!!! Learning how to make hair bows, (thank you Kate!)

16) What song will always remind you of 2009?
"I Will Rise" - Chris Tomlin, "Your Hands" - Jj Heller, "Use Somebody" - Kings of Leon, "Never Say Never" - The Fray, "Until the Whole World Hears" - Casting Crowns

17) Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? way happier
- thinner or fatter? same
- richer or poorer? we don't have money to burn, but we have less debt, so that's a huge plus

18) What do you wish you'd done more of?
Showing my kids mercy

19) What do you wish you'd done less of?
Yelling

20) How will you be spending New Year's?
With JB, my kids & parents at our own fête at home in Charlotte

21) Did you fall in love in 2009?
With Naperville! If it weren't 13 hours from home or have nasty winters, I'd never want to move.

22) How many one-night stands?
None

23) What was your favorite TV program?
TOO HARD!!! Enjoying Everyday Life, Glee, Friday Night Lights, The Office, 30 Rock, Big Love, The Tudors, Grey's Anatomy, lots of reality TV: Survivor, So You Think You Can Dance, The Amazing Race, Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Top Chef, Kitchen Nightmares, etc. I also thought 16 & Pregnant on MTV was fabulously realistic, and I want something like that for Annelise to watch when she's 13.

24) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is a strong word...but I *strongly* dislike JB's boss

25) What was the best book you read?
I read 2 whole books, and they were both fantastic!!! Be Happy or I'll Scream!: My Deranged Quest for the Perfect Husband, Family, and Life by Sheri Lynch and Ya-Yas in Bloom by Rebecca Wells

26) What was your greatest musical discovery?
BarlowGirl's latest album Love & War

27) What did you want and get?
To sing, again. To teach dance, again. To make awesome new friends. To be on steering in my new MOPS group. To live in a vibrant place.

28) What did you want and not get?
To move South. For my husband to have "normal" work hours.

29) What was your favorite film of this year?
In the theatre: The Blind Side & Inglourious Basterds - Also, tons on Netflix.

30) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 and went out to dinner at Heaven on Seven & then dancing with my best girlfriends here!

31) What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Moving to Charleston, SC.

32) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
A solid year of ONLY ME, with no nursing at all.

33) What kept you sane?
Joyce Meyer, awesome church, Facebook, trips home to NC, new girlfriends, TiVo, and going out to eat.

34) Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I can't think of any one in particular... I guess I could always say Joyce Meyer.

35) What political issue stirred you the most?
As always, extreme partisanship. I also refuse to start any kind of debate, but I am really *not* fond a certain former female governor, so anything she messes up gets me irritated...

36) Whom did you miss?
My mom the most of the year we weren't together. JB every night he worked late.

37) Who was the best new person you met?
Too hard, since we moved! Neil & Brandi, Kate, Peg, my steering team, etc.

38) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
God is STILL more interested in changing you than your circumstances.
When you focus on wanting something more than you focus on Him, you're probably not going to get it, yet.

39) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"

~ "I Will Rise" by Chris Tomlin

Comments

  1. Wow...how honest and awesome. I hope 2010 is even better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks! I really am a very open person. I figure, what do I have to hide? Being open & honest just helps people relate to the real me, and we move around so much, I just don't have time (or patience!) for a long warm-up period! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great look back over 2009. i hope 2010 is a year of answered prayer! love ya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment