Not "Overly Salty"

I really didn't anticipate this blog turning into so much spiritual talk, but I can't ignore that it's at the core of my heart; maybe it's b/c of the season, but I just have come across so many good thoughts and prayers I'd like to remember for myself, so I'll keep putting them here. I don't mean to sound "overly salty" (a fantastic phrase a former pastor of mine used to describe witnessing to the point of *unrelatable* obnoxiousness) and I certainly don't fancy myself a spiritual teacher. I just want to keep these things here to help whomever may be touched by them and esp. to refresh *me* as I reread.

I love the way 411God talked about this week:
Well, the presents have been unwrapped and if you're like me, you're finishing off the last 18 Christmas cookies. Things are really starting to slow down. Maybe, after Jesus' birth, things really started to slow down...? Wait, I can't back that up.

See Matthew 2:7-12 - Big things were taking place, and I think we often miss the boat when we take for granted that God can be be bringing forth the same kind of revolutions in our lives, too, even (if not ESP.) in these "down" times.


A prayer for the New Year:
Help me to be committed to building the spiritual discipline that *reminds me* to access your power and the resources you have given me whenever I need them. Help me to have the patience and endurance to stay on track throughout the New Year.


A friend forwarded this to me by Michael Berg, echoing something I know most of us have a hard time figuring out how to do: "hate the sin, NOT the sinner." Food for thought re: how important tolerance (not condoning) was/is to Jesus:
One of Jesus’ important messages was don’t get stuck in the ritual. If you are authentic in your spiritual work, then you are constantly growing and improving on the inside. Never practice religion simply as an external action. The purpose of it all is to bring internal change to become a better person...

...Clearly, one of his overriding messages was the Old Testament concept of “Love Thy Neighbor As Thyself”. There is nothing a person seeking spirituality can be doing in their lives that leads to anything different than or opposite from this message. Jesus wanted us to understand that religious practice is here to bring us back to this goal.

If this is truly understood, then love and compassion must lead to tolerance. Through his experience as one who went against the status quo, he was both marginalized and persecuted. As a result, he clearly gained a great appreciation for the importance of holding a space for others who have opposing views. He spent his “Light” railing against intolerance and lack of human dignity for those who are different and to those with whom we very much disagree.

What he taught us is that underlying all our spiritual pursuits must be an understanding of human dignity and tolerance for all people. As Jesus said, “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

During this holiday season, we all have so much we can learn from the life and teachings of Jesus. To be religious or spiritual means a constant process of growing and changing, consistently becoming a better and better person, knowing that none of our beliefs can – nor should they – bring us anything but a growing sense of love, compassion, and tolerance for those whom we love, and, more importantly, for those with whom we disagree.

Comments

  1. interesting Sues! I struggle with 'tolerance' and loving people. How can I better love people but not let the Word of God be stepped on? Maybe you weren't even going in that direction with your post but it is something that Sam and I discuss all the time as we strive to show the love of Christ to everyone around us. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment