Precious Children

Writer Amy Butler focused over & over last week on the fact that we are "precious children of God". We're in a season of limbo right now, and while - THANKFULLY! - we're certainly not enduring any dire hardships, we're still calling out to God and waiting on His answer. These devotionals have really encouraged me, so I wanted to share:

Psalm 5:1-3 "Give ear to my words, O Lord; give heed to my sighing. Listen to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you I pray. O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch."

The psalmist reminds us that, as precious children of God, we are worthy to cry out for help, to ask God to hold out a hand to us in our uncertainty and fear. We don’t have to have the answers to everything. When we face our problems of fear and uncertainty, we can reach out to God knowing that, in the morning, God hears our voice and reaches back to us.

Help me, God. I admit I can’t get through this task of being human without your help and guidance. I give you thanks today that I can turn to you, that I am not alone, that you are ready to help me. Amen.

Psalm 22:1-5 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer; and by night, but find no rest. Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. In you our ancestors trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. To you they cried, and were saved; in you they trusted, and were not put to shame."

...Our cast-down souls, our sad hearts, do not have the last word, even when we can’t imagine how things might get better. We are precious children of God, and we are worthy to hang on to hope, no matter how dire our circumstances seem. The writer of today's psalm seemed to know this in a very real way. Despite the difficult circumstances in which he found himself, he asked with resoluteness, why are you so upset? Then he realized: there’s one thing I do have - hope. As God’s precious children we are worthy to know that something beautiful is always on the horizon.

God, even when my circumstances look bleak, thank you for the reminder that I am your precious child, that I am worthy of the hope that comes with your redemptive love. Help me to live today with the assurance of that hope. Amen.

Comments

Post a Comment